WHETHER ART AND CULTURE, SPORTS OR SHOPPING - ESSLINGEN HAS A LOT TO OFFER
Nestled in the Neckar Valley and surrounded by vineyards is the former free imperial city, which can look back on a more than 1,200 year-old history. Nowadays Baden-Württemberg’s eleventh biggest city offers a multitude of day-trip, leisure and sports facilities. Just a few minutes’ walk from the Businesshotel Rosenau, you can go shopping in the pedestrian area or visit the banks of the Neckar river, where you can take a stroll, go walking or do some jogging.
Located approx. 9 km from the hotel, on the Schurwaldhöhe, you will find a true ‘sporting centre’ with facilities for tennis, riding, sailing, cycling, minigolf and much more. Within the wider area, you can enjoy Esslingen’s wonderful location set amidst nature, forests, meadows and a winegrowing region covering around 93 hectares.
Enjoy a stroll through the winding, cobbled streets and welcoming pedestrian area of Esslingen’s historical Old Town. The entire medieval town centre is fascinating, a place where visitors can marvel at the oldest row of half-timbered houses in Germany: patrician and vine dresser houses, churches, “Pfleghöfe” (historic municipal and financial centres), gates and towers.
Some interesting excursion destinations nearby include:
- Nymphea: small, private zoo on the Neckarinsel
- Ludwigsburg Palace
- The Sepulchral Chapel in Rotenberg
- TV Tower (Fernsehturm) Stuttgart
- Castles: Hohen Neuffen / Teck / Lichtenstein and Reussenstein
- Blautopf Natural Spring
- The Great Lauter Valley with the ‘Wimsener Höhle’ (Wimsen Cave)
- The Danube Valley with Beuron Archabbey
- ‘Bärenhöhle’ (Bears’ Cave) and ‘Nebelhöhle’ (Fog Cave)
- Museum Hauff - excavations from the Stone Age intended for children as you can search for fossils and split stones in the quarry. There is also an adjoining dinosaur park.
- Wilhelma in Stuttgart (Zoo)
- Hohenzollern Castle